Integrative Pain & Wellness
Get relief with integrative pain management.
Being able to manage pain effectively can both aid in recovery and improve a person’s overall quality of life. Integrative pain management is a unique approach to healing that focuses on the health of the whole person by merging traditional healing methods with complementary treatments. Integrative pain management encourages healthy nutrition and lifestyle changes, giving patients the ability to gain more control over their pain and the management of it.
Our neurologist, Dr. Amy Lindsay Howe has a special interest in this form of treatment. Her method of Integrative Pain Medicine combines conventional medicine and alternative therapies, without the use of narcotic medications, for maximum patient benefit.
In order to find relief, however, the underlying root causes and contributing factors in your pain must be identified. At SROSM, it is our goal to do just that. Common root causes include obesity, nutritional imbalances, hormonal imbalances, poor muscle conditioning, poor flexibility, poor posture, improper exercise techniques, stress, poor sleep, and many more. Just as there are many causes, there is no single solution that works to help every patient with the management of their pain caused by lifestyle, sports injuries, or other health conditions. Dr. Howe aims for a comprehensive approach that addresses the health of the whole person, because the true goal is improving the patient’s overall wellness.
Your integrative pain management evaluation will include:
- Diagnostic Testing: Imaging, laboratory testing, micronutrient testing, food sensitivity testing or EMG/nerve conduction studies
- Treating the Root Cause, Not Just the Symptoms: A customized treatment plan will be designed for each patient
- Physical Therapy: Our highly trained physical therapists will address the mechanical issues that contribute to your pain
- Wellness Coaching: Diet, exercise and sleep play very important roles in our overall health
- Assessments: We provide a number of assessments to address nutritional problems contributing to your pain symptoms.
- Diet: We will provide guidance on dietary strategies to improve gut health and reduce inflammation in the body which contributes to overall wellness.
- Supplements: We may recommend nutritional supplements or herbal therapies tailored to your specific needs.
- Fitness: We can provide a jumpstart to your fitness regimen
- Mind-Body Therapy: Our mind and physical existence are intertwined – meaning if one is not performing well the other will suffer also. A number of mind-body therapies have been shown to reduce pain including breathwork, guided imagery, mindfulness meditation, yoga, tai chi, biofeedback and neurofeedback and many others.
While there are numerous ways to treat pain, this integrative approach can both empower and educate patients to be active participants in their own care. Over time, patients will become more confident in taking more responsibility for the health and wellness, which can eventually lead to getting their life back.